Wednesday, February 27, 2019

No BMT!

Ed and I went to Huntsman this morning fully expecting to get bad news, but came home with another reprieve!

Dr. Couriel explained that although they are not sure whether I have the more aggressive BPLL or the less aggressive SMZL, they do not recommend I have a stem cell transplant at this time!

The two cancers look very similar in pathology, but act different in clinical situations. My reactions have been a little of one and a little of the other, but since I am doing well now and am in complete remission (something they would not have expected with BPLL), they will just monitor me and see how I do on my daily anti-cancer pill (Ibrutinib). I have the doctor's  permission to start living my life again, making plans to go places and do things!

Thanks to my siblings for having their blood tested to see if they could donate if I needed it. Annette, my sister 18 months older than me (second from right) won the blood testing lottery. She is a 100% match for my blood! So, if things change and I need a BMT, we're ready to go. Thanks, Mom, for having seven children!

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear you are able to spread your wings now and that Annette is your back up plan, if needed. Enjoy this freedom.

    ReplyDelete