Monday, November 11, 2019

Cancer, lunch and dinner

I like to pretend that cancer doesn't consume our lives, but it sorta does. We went to a symposium on CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) on Saturday. I have BPLL, which is more rare and more aggressive, but in the same family of leukemias. This was the second year we have attended the seminar, and it was just as helpful and informative as last year. At the break we talked with Dr. Stevens, who runs the trials at Huntsman, and found out that our doctor had already talked to her about me. Four months ago when we talked to Dr. Couriale (the BMT) doctor) he suggested I have CAR-T treatment to prepare me for a stem cell transplant. At that time I was fresh out of Campath treatment, which had destroyed my T-cells. We didn't think I'd be alive in 4 more months, giving my T-cells a chance to recover so I could qualify for CAR-T. In two weeks my 6 months will be up, and I might very well be accepted to this study. It is a hard treatment, but also can be life-saving, so we're hoping I can get it. We will talk to Dr. Halwani on Thursday, and should know more then.

In the meantime, I am feeling good, and my blood counts are stable-ish. My WBC was 11.92 and my platelets were 26. The low platelets are not a problem to enter this treatment, fortunately.

I enjoyed going out to lunch with my ministering sisters on Wednesday.


I also enjoyed a special dinner at the Monte L. Bean Museum with Brittany on Thursday.

I've decided to eat, drink and be merry. A CAR-T patient was one of the featured speakers at our CLL symposium. He lost 30 pounds during the treatment. I'm working on plumping up for my ordeal.



No comments:

Post a Comment