Friday, August 24, 2012

Don't Go into the Woods if You're Afraid of Spiders!

Coda and I love walking in the woods. Yesterday might be our last walk till we get a frost! SPIDERS have overtaken the forest! It looks so pastoral and peaceful. I took a picture of a web here. It's right at eye level and you can't even see it in the picture. Neither could I before I almost walked into it!

Webs are a little easier to see if they are on a branch like the one on the right. Yesterday on our walk we must have brought down at least 30 spider webs. I walked with my sticks in front of my head, crossing and waving them like a lunatic! Nevertheless, at the least expected moment I might feel a web catch right under my nose! Then I did the crazy person's dance. The poor dog didn't know what was going on!
I know the majority of the webs were spider free, and that most of the spiders are as harmless as this daddy-long-legs. But the thought of one (or two or three) of them crawling up my back while I'm hiking is too much to bear!

I tried to read up on why we've suddenly been invaded by spiders. There are two theories floating around. One is that it's mating season, and the males are trying to bulk up. The other is that all the babies from the spring are branching out and making bigger webs. If there are any arachnologists out there, I'd love to know what's really going on!

2 comments:

  1. 2012, we are coming up on the end of the world. It's getting cold in st George and its still August. These are all signs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. End of the world is not until Sept 21st. Your woods look so pretty. What spider could resist such and inviting scene?

    ReplyDelete