Thursday, February 6, 2014

Powerless!

We woke up yesterday to an ice storm. It left everything covered and dripping in ice. It was both beautiful and dangerous at the same time!

There were so many pretty places to take pictures!

The weight of it brought trees and branches down everywhere. We lost not only one of our pretty leaning trees in the back yard, but also power in the house!

Ed went to work late, and I decided it was time to open the box of our new generator (which I got Ed for Christmas) and put it together so Ed could fire it up when he got home.

I was so proud of myself! I got the wheels and handles on just right. Aside from running low on cell phone battery I was fine all day at home with no electricity. Our gas fireplaces worked, as did our water heater and stove-top!



I was worried about our poor trees, though. The crepe myrtle and crab apple trees were precariously loaded with ice!

Even the pathway lights were coated!

This close up shows how each branch was covered in a tube of ice! It was amazing!

The most amazing thing of all was the aftermath. About 3 p.m. I walked outside to get the mail. The ice was starting to melt in serious. I thought it was raining or sleeting, as the sound of crashing and tinkling was all around me. It was ice falling off the trees. It was so eerie! The sensation was unforgettable, certainly worth the mild inconvenience of a mere 12 hours without power!

1 comment:

  1. Livin' on the edge. Guess I won't feel bad about our sub zero weather-We only have a skiff of snow and all the roads are dry

    ReplyDelete