Sunday, August 5, 2018

Aspartame, Leg Cramps and Me

Goodbye, diet A&W root beer (my soda of choice), and goodbye night-time Charley horses!

I've been suffering from severe leg cramps at night all summer, with only a brief interlude during our Fairview family reunion. I asked myself what was different in Fairview that I could sleep through the light without having my legs cramp up unbearably!

I even made a doctor appointment for Monday. Then I realized that in Fairview I drank water instead of diet soda. I looked online and found that aspartame can cause muscle cramping. So for the last three days I have not drunk any diet soda, and have not had any leg cramps! It is a miracle! I also feel bad to realize that my years of leg cramps may have been partially self-inflicted! Understandably, they are more severe in the summer (when I drink more soda)!

The pain was unbearable, and I'm glad to have found a solution, but this can of cold soda is calling to me every time I open the fridge! I also feel tired and listless, as if I'm going though withdrawal pains! Who knew? I'm sure I'll adjust to not drinking anything with aspartame, but in the meantime I feel sad and lonely, like I'm saying goodbye to a dear, frosty friend!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you figured that out! Leg cramps are horrible! Aspartame is not a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your listlessness and slight sadness could come from the absence of caffeine, not the aspartame. Caffeine is a mood-elevator and temporary energizer.

    ReplyDelete