Tuesday, August 21, 2018

From Indolent to Dolent

My lymphoma went from indolent (lazy) to dolent (grievous) this month. Ed and I had enjoyed the past year and a half, thinking we had a decade before I would need treatment! However, we realized things weren't going well when I became extremely fatigued at the beginning of August.

I trip to the doctor last Friday confirmed that! My white blood cell count went from 230k to 545k in just 6 weeks! Normal is 12k! I convinced them to let me stay home long enough to celebrate Mabel's birthday on Saturday (which I totally enjoyed), but Sunday and Monday the symptoms got debilitating-- adding headaches and dizziness to extreme fatigue.

I'm in a really nice hospital suite now at Huntsman where they are trying to alleviate my symptoms while they monitor me. They did a second bone marrow biopsy (ouch) to see if my cancer has morphed into something else. This drastic turn of events is not consistent with SMZL, my last diagnosis. We'll get our new diagnosis on Thursday, as well as a treatment plan.

Ed says it is like deja vu all over again! We're hoping for an easy course of treatment that won't interfere with our European vacation on September 11th!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your new sleeping acomodations. I hope they get things figured out quickly and that it is no more serious than the last time. You will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear this, Judy. We will definitely keep you in our prayers. Sending positive thoughts and a lot of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you!! you are tough! And you have the best positive outlook of anyone I know. you are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete