Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Eyes Have It


Here’s an inauspicious beginning to our trip! We spent the hour and a half prior to our departure to the airport at the eye doctor. I was suddenly seeing a lot of floaters in my left eye, and about 12:30 p.m. I got nervous that something was wrong. We planned to leave at 2:45 p.m. I called the eye doctor and they said, “Come over right away.” So, they dilated my eye and looked at it for the longest time. The bad news is I have a vitreal detachment. The good news is I don’t currently have a retinal tear. So, I’m not supposed to bungie jump or ride horses during the trip. If I get new spots I’m supposed to go right to the eye doctor in Germany. Apparently, a retinal tear can be corrected if you catch it early. So, if I see flashing lights or an increase in floaties I’m supposed to go straight to the eye doctor in Germany. Thank heavens this is not our Africa trip! The medical service is probably a safer bet in Germany.

So, when Ed and I got back from the eye doctor, Crystal had optimistically already packed the car. We’re now safely ensconced at our gate with an hour left before we board! That was a little excitement we didn’t need!

No comments:

Post a Comment