Thursday, June 3, 2010

Black-Eyed Susans

The Black-Eyed Susans (our new band, and the state flower of Maryland) had its first practice this morning. We have Tricia on bass, Kaylene on ukelele, Carrie on guitar, and Mary on pennywhistle.


Honorary band member is Mary's dad, Smith Shumway, who is a whiz on the harmonica.  He's getting on in years, which almost brings him down to our level.

Mary is a pro on the tambourine. She surprised me with her finesse. Apparently, her experience in the Cougar marching band really paid off!

For all you Twisted Sisters and Slo-Pickers who follow this blog, I still love you! Guess what songs we did! She'll be Comin' Round the Mountain and Polly Wolly Doodle!  Some of the band members were feeling overwhelmed. I tried to tell them it gets easier. If you have any advice for them, just comment on the blog. We made Carrie keep on playing through the pain. Her soft little fingers weren't used to the abuse!

3 comments:

  1. I knew it!! You haven't even been there six months and you've been able to unbury all kinds of hidden talent! You do have the knack!!! Good luck! Oh, and I'm going to be a big follower of Smith Shumway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Oh and I LOVE your band name, as usual!!!! I need you around when I need to name things!

    ReplyDelete